A smartwatch is an accessory that combines aesthetics and functionality. While looking great on your hand, it connects to your smartphone and comes with a wide range of useful features. It doesn’t come as strange that both men and kids love wearing these devices.
In this article, we are looking for the best waterproof smartwatch for men and children. We selected the top-rated products with an adequate water-resistance rating and reviewed them below. You will also discover how to pick a suitable smartwatch for your needs!
- Our top pick for men’s waterproof smart watch is Apple Watch Series 5. The latest installment designed by the reputable manufacturer is perfectly compatible with iPhones and other iOS devices. It has many fitness-friendly and other useful features.
- Those who prefer Android should consider Samsung Galaxy Watch Smartwatch. The product offers comprehensive health tracking for fans of an active lifestyle. You can choose between multiple sizes and colors to suit your taste.
- If you are looking for the best kids’ waterproof smartwatch, you can’t go wrong with TickTalk 3 Unlocked 4G LTE Universal Kids Smart Watch. The product offers two-way voice and text messaging, video calls, and 4G and Wi-Fi connectivity.
Who Should Get This?
Here are some user types that could benefit from having a waterproof smartwatch:
- You want to look stylish – smartwatches add to the overall image, which is why they are among the favorite accessories of both adults and children.
- You need a watch that is resistant to water – you might want to swim with it or ensure that the device won’t fail in case of rainfall.
- You are a fan of an active lifestyle – many smartwatches are loaded with fitness-friendly and other features useful for active lifestyle fans.
- You are a concerned parent – a smartwatch is a fun way for children to communicate with parents. It can provide extra information on the kid’s whereabouts and an additional method of contacting them.
How We Picked the Best Waterproof Smartwatches?
Would you like to know how we picked the water-resistant smartwatches to include in our list? Here are the factors we considered during the selection process.
Since we were picking a specific type of watch, we focused on the water-resistance ratings first. You will find that these products have different grades.
For example, an IP68 waterproof smart watch can be submerged in water more than one meter (three feet). However, if the rating is only IP4, the watch is only safe from water splashes and sprays in all directions. Make sure to choose the protection that suits your activities.
The next thing to consider is the compatibility with your mobile phone. Not all watches are compatible with the same devices. The manufacturers will list the compatible units in the product description, so make sure to check them before going ahead with the purchase.
Some smartwatches allow you to enter a SIM card to secure that you stay connected to the smartphone at all times. The connectivity options could include 2G to 4G variations, so make sure to choose the networks supported in your area. Wi-Fi is another way to connect the smartwatch, and some accessories make that option available.
Size and Appearance
The next thing to consider is whether the size fits you. Children’s smartwatches are generally smaller than those designed for adults. Apart from the size, make sure to pick a suitable color and a style that fits your preferences.
Fitness-Friendly and Other Features
Smartwatches are enriched with different functions and features. Those include fitness-friendly options, such as distance tracker, heart sensor, etc. These watches also support reading and sending messages, voice calls, and some units even come with an integrated camera.
The cost of these accessories varies significantly. If you are looking for the best cheap waterproof smartwatch, it might be available for under $50. However, premium models often cost over $200.
Men’s Waterproof Smart Watch: Our Picks in 2020
1. Best Waterproof Smart Watch for Men: Apple Watch Series 5
The product secures an impressive water resistance up to 50 meters of depth, which is admirable. You can take it swimming without worrying about damaging it.
Apple Watch Series 5 is filled with advanced workout metrics and useful fitness-friendly features. From using electrical and optical heart rate sensors to monitoring noise and activity tracking, you will be delighted with the range of functions available.
The display is always on to show time and the customizable watch face. Smart notifications are all there, as well as a wide range of apps, such as Apple Music, that allows you to stream your favorite songs. You can also use it for payments, getting informed about the weather, etc. If you consider the admirable capacity and a generous range of functions, the smartwatch is pretty light when worn on the arm.
At a Glance:
- Colors: silver, gold, space black, space gray with various bands
- Material: stainless steel or aluminum
- Sizes: 42 and 46mm
- The optical and electrical heart sensor
- Extremely durable – starting with an impressive waterproof rating up to the quality of construction, the watch should last for a long time.
- Advanced workout metrics – the smartwatch will give you comprehensive information about all your activities.
- A spacious viewing area – the display stretches into the curved corners to ensure optimal viewing from any angle.
- Integrated compass and GPS – the product is very reliable in determining your location, and compass and ground elevation is also very useful.
- A high price tag – although it is a premium model, many consider that the price of the Apple Watch is a bit higher than it should be.
- Battery life could be better – a single charge will keep the product going for up to 18 hours, which is not that impressive.
The latest Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch is available in two sizes, and you receive both a large and small strap with the product. The water-resistance rating is set to 5 ATM, which means it will endure heavy rain and other severe conditions.
The battery life is exceptional, and the wireless charging ensures a simple way to refill the battery. The smartwatch is capable of tracking more than 35 workouts while detecting that you switched activities. Wi-Fi connectivity is also available, as well as NFC for payments with your watch.
The features included are heart rate, stress, and sleep monitoring, smart notifications, a customizable interface, and a wide range of apps supported.
At a Glance:
- Colors: silver, black, rose gold
- Sizes: 42mm and 46mm
- Bluetooth and LTE models available
- 1-year warranty
- Daily briefings are a nice touch – the smartwatch will show you reminders once you wake up, as well as the covered distance at the end of the day.
- Bluetooth allows connecting the product to both Android and iOS – if you pick the Bluetooth model, you can connect the smartwatch to the two most popular mobile operating systems out there.
- The wireless charger – the device can last for days without the need to charge, and you can use the wireless charger once the battery life needs refilling.
- A large selection of apps – the software additions ensure to increase the versatility of the smartwatch and allow customizing the watch to your needs.
- Watch faces are chargeable – the choice of free watch faces is limited, and you might need to pay extra to customize the interface.
- It is a bit heavier than expected – the product is not as light as some other units, which can be felt during demanding activities.
Garmin Forerunner 235 is the best friend of many runners and an excellent choice for all healthy lifestyle fans. This waterproof smartwatch is incredibly light but features a large screen with plenty of useful information.
The product is controlled via buttons on the sides, and it is easy to use. The watch comes with smart notifications, including call alerts, messages, e-mails, reminders, etc. However, the fitness-friendly features are its primary benefit.
The wrist-based heart rate, the estimated volume of used oxygen, pedometer, and pace alert are only some functions provided by Garmin Forerunner 235. The battery life is exceptional since it can work up to 11 hours during training, or nine days with only the watch function active.
At a Glance:
- Colors: gray/black, marsala, frost blue
- 1.23-inch diameter
- Smart notifications
- Activity tracking
- A classic but modern appearance – although it is a smartwatch, the product has a classic look that reminds of traditional watches.
- Comprehensive activity tracking – from counting your steps and covered distance to used calories, the product delivers handy information.
- Customizable watch faces – by using the compatible app, it is possible to change the watch’s face.
- Lightweight and comfortable – the device is so light that you won’t even feel wearing it.
- The battery life drops over time – although it is incredibly durable at the beginning, the duration of a single battery charge can decrease over time.
- No touchscreen display – if you were looking for a touchscreen, this model won’t deliver.
Kids’ Waterproof Smart Watch: Our Picks in 2020
1. Best Waterproof Smart Watch for Kids: TickTalk 3 Unlocked 4G LTE Universal Kids Smart Watch
TickTalk designed an advanced children’s waterproof smart watch. The water resistance rating is IP67, which means the device will be safe from rain, but also if you drop it in a pool or a puddle. Users can choose from multiple bases and band colors, as well as switch bands as they see fit.
The product supports both a SIM card and Wi-Fi, but make sure to choose the option that suits your desired carrier. Thanks to the 4G reception, the location accuracy is better than on similar units.
This waterproof smartwatch is loaded with useful features. You can send and receive Wi-Fi and voice calls and add up to 53 contacts in the phonebook. If you activate the firewall, only the added contacts can reach you, which is an important safety feature. The product has an integrated camera, voice messaging, and FaceTalk video calls with the app. It also allows users to receive messages and send them by using preset sayings.
At a Glance:
- Colors: white and black watch, red and black bands
- IP67 water resistance rating
- Wi-Fi and SIM card support included
- 4G real-time locator
- A replaceable band – not only that gives you the option to experiment with different bands, but it prolongs the product’s lifespan.
- An integrated camera – the smartwatch features a built-in 2MP camera users can use to take photos.
- Wi-Fi support for data-free use – the product supports the pocket SIM and allows you to pick your own carrier. However, Wi-Fi can ensure that you don’t spend any data on using the watch.
- A convenient do not disturb mode – it turns off all alerts, and can be suitable for classes or during the night.
- The battery life could be better – if you don’t use Wi-Fi, the watch can last up to 12 hours on a single charge, which is quite limiting.
- No option to write messages – the device can only send texts from a selection of preset sayings.
If you are looking for an affordable waterproof kid’s smart watch, this might be the right product for you. The manufacturer designed the watch in two primary colors – blue and pink. That way, both boys and girls have the option to pick the color they find more suitable.
The smartwatch comes with an integrated SIM slot, but you will have to insert your own card. It is possible to connect the smartwatch to a phone via an app. However, the device utilizes the 2G network, which might not be supported in some areas.
Parents will appreciate the SOS button that allows children to contact the connected phone in only three seconds. The smartwatch is water-resistant, but the manufacturer does not recommend pressing any buttons while underwater. Additionally, avoid using it in saunas or hot water. The size of the watch will suit children from three to 12 years old.
At a Glance:
- Colors: Pink and blue
- SIM card slot
- SOS functionality
- Suitable for 3-12 years old children
- Affordable price tag – the budget-friendly cost of this watch is even more tempting if you consider features that come with it.
- GPS location available – parents can track their children by using the GPS feature integrated into the device.
- SOS functionality – by holding the SOS key for three seconds, you can quickly contact the phone that is connected to the watch.
- An app that comes with the phone – the manufacturer designed an app that you can connect to the phone to read messages, receive calls, etc.
- 2G coverage comes with some limitations – since the watch requires 2G coverage, make sure it is available in your areas, or the SIM card might not work.
- No option to send messages – the only possible option is to receive messages and read them on the screen.
Useful Tips & Resources
A smartwatch is a compelling accessory. These products continued evolving ever since they hit the market. Today, they have numerous functions and features that keep surprising the users every day.
If you want to master using an Apple Watch, iMore offers a useful article on tips and tricks to apply when using this accessory. They range from increasing the text on the screen to pre-setting message responses.
You can find a similar article for Samsung Galaxy smartwatches. These accessories allow customizing the interface of the watch, avoiding accidental taps while swimming, etc. Finally, Garmin shares some useful insights on how to monitor your health with their smartwatch. These could be helpful for fans of a healthy lifestyle.
Ultimately, the choice is up to you, and the important thing is that the selected waterproof smartwatch fits your needs. Men and kids might have different requirements when it comes to smartwatches, so make sure to take that into account during the selection process. The idea is to find a product that delivers the desired features while looking great and fitting your budget. By keeping to those guidelines, you can rest assured that you will find the best waterproof smartwatch on the market!