Buying a printer has never been a truly simple task. Between the various models available and their numerous features, and then the added issue of finding something that is compatible with your Mac, it can get confusing. Fortunately, technology is improving things like compatibility and the selection available today offers a category for just about every printing need, including everyday printing, photo printing, office/business printing, and more.
Take a minute to think about the intention of your printing. This the first step to figuring out which printer will be best for your needs. Today, printers are available in almost every price range and for a variety of uses, including dedicated photo printing, high-quality laser printing, and even multipurpose print and photo solutions.
The best printers compatible with Mac devices are going to be the ones that offer the connectivity that you need along with the features that you want in a great printer. This guide will outline everything that you need to know about finding the best printer for MacBook Pro or other Mac devices, including providing a list of the top printers for Mac on the market today.
- The Epson EcoTank ET-2720 is one of the most affordable, eco-friendly options on the market today. Featuring the patented EcoTank ink system, it offers significant cost savings on supplies over time, with high quality printing capabilities.
- If you want direct access printing, the AirPrint service on the Canon Pixma iX6820 Wireless Business Printer offers the best connectivity. Plus, this printer is among the best for inkjet printing with its five-tank ink system.
- For full printing functionality at its finest with premium laser printing quality, the HP Color LaserJet Pro Multifunction M479fdw Wireless Laser Printer delivers what you need.
Who Can Use a Mac-Compatible Printer?
Everyone who needs to print can benefit from finding the best printer for MacBook, whether they have a desktop, a MacBook Pro, Air, or another model from Apple. Printing is important for work, school, and even just useful for everyday life and buying a printer is cheaper than paying to have prints made at a shop for most people. Today, with so many print services and cloud printing solutions in the world around us, some users assume that they don’t need to purchase their own printer for home or business use.
However, when you break down the costs of investing in a printer versus paying for printing services, you may see that over time, it will actually save you money to own a printer for your Mac. It might be a larger initial investment, but thanks to the increasing competition for affordable printing solutions, you will probably spend a lot less on a new printer than you think, even when you choose something that is top-of-the-line.
Here are some of the biggest benefits of investing in printers compatible with Mac computers, for anyone considering the purchase:
- You will always be able to print on-demand whenever you need. It doesn’t matter the time of day or night, and you won’t have to try to remember to stop at the print shop or copy center to get what you need. Plus, you’ll never have to worry about transferring files, carrying USB drives with you, or other hassles that come from trying to print through a third-party service.
- Over a lifetime, for the average person, buying a printer can cost a fraction of paying for printing services every time that they are needed. This is especially true for those who are working from home or for themselves and need printing solutions, as well as those who print a lot of photos and high-quality color documents. It might seem cheaper to spend a few bucks here and there on prints, but over time, that few bucks will add up.
- Most of the models available today also offer copy and scanning services, which means that you can eliminate multiple office machines, or reduce what you spend on outsourced copying and scanning services, giving you even more savings and convenience when it comes to getting the document solutions that you need. If you are trying to streamline your home office or your commercial business, a new all-in-one Mac-compatible printer might be just the tool to kick things off on the right foot.
Buying a printer is definitely more about the utility of the machine, but the perks are worth noting. After all, you should know why you’re spending the money and what you stand to gain. Read on to learn how we chose the best printers for Mac, including which features we considered and why. Not only will this help you better understand our list, but it can help you buy the right printer, even if you choose one that isn’t in this guide.
How We Picked the Best Printers for Mac
The best printers for Mac devices below are based on their compatibility, included features, design and portability, and other elements. Everyone has a different personal preference regarding what they are looking for in a new printer, but the following elements are universally important, and should be on your list any time you are buying a new printer.
Obviously, this is our primary concern. We’ve taken the time to research printers and choose the ones with the widest selection of compatibility with various Mac computers and devices. Printer compatibility is much less of an issue than it may be with other components, because there are so many options available on the market today. However, when it comes to Apple products, some printers may or may not be compatible based on something as detailed as the version build. Take advantage of compatibility checkers to guarantee you’re making a good purchase.
Printing and Other Features
The features that come with a printer are also a big consideration. If you just need a basic printer that you can take on the go for easy document printing, there are options out there. If you decide that you need a more feature-rich machine that offers copying, scanning, double-sided printing, and more, you will also find those models available. Most of the models on our list are designed for basic, portable printing needs since that is the primary audience for Mac-compatible printers, but office machines and more dynamic printers are available, as well.
Speaking of portable, this is a big feature today for many Mac users. Thanks to mobile technology, people are getting used to having everything at their fingertips when they need it. With compact, sleek printing solutions that can fit into most laptop bags, leading printer manufacturers are changing the game and giving people exactly what they need. If you are in the market for something portable, make sure that you pay extra attention to the next feature: durability.
Durability and Quality
You are already thinking about quality in the printer that you buy, naturally. However, there’s a little bit more to consider if you’re going portable. You also want to make sure that the manufacturer took care to create a solid design that isn’t flimsy and that can stand up to the beating that your on-the-go life may give it. These printers aren’t going to be indestructible, by any means, but the portable ones should definitely feel like they’ll hold up to whatever you give them.
While we didn’t inherently focus too much on outright price with our research, we did work to provide the best-value printers. In addition to the other elements, we chose models that included the best features for the money and that had the highest quality in their price range. The same is true when you’re shopping for your new Mac printer—you should keep an idea of your budget in your mind, but you cannot focus solely on the cost. Look at it instead as a point of reference to determine if you’re getting a good value for the money, rather than how much you’re spending outright.
These are probably the most integral considerations in your printer purchase. Regardless of your needs, all of these criteria will ensure that you get the solution that is ideal.
Best Printers Compatible with Mac: Our Picks in 2020
Here are the top five printers available for MacBook and other Apple computers, along with their best features and benefits. Bear in mind that these are in no particular order, and every printer on this list is absolutely worth a look for those who are in the market.
1. Best All-in-one Printer for Mac: Epson EcoTank ET-2720 Wireless Color All-in-One Supertank Printer with Scanner and Copier
The Epson EcoTank ET-2720 Wireless Color All-in-One Supertank Printer with Scanner and Copier is your choice for multipurpose document solutions. It offers everything you need in a small package, including the ability to print, copy, and scan documents for all-in-one printing at home or in the home office. Plus, it includes everything that you need to get started right out of the box, with eco-friendly printing technology.
At a Glance:
- Cartridge-free printing solutions for less hassle
- Features EcoTank technology for premium printing with less ink usage
- Multi-function device prints, copies, and scans
- Basic all-in-one printer with a reasonable price tag is ideal for the everyday printer.
- EcoTank ink system offers innovative ink usage and savings, taking the pain out of printing.
- Compatible with PC, Mac, and other devices.
- Basic model has limited features and functionality
- No memory card slot or ethernet connection options available
2. Best Home Printers for Mac: HP Officejet 200 Portable Printer with Wireless & Mobile Printing
The HP Officejet 200 Portable Printer with Wireless & Mobile Printing is revolutionizing printing technology in a machine that’s small enough to fit into your laptop bag, and powerful enough to print high-quality documents and images in a matter of seconds. This small printer is ideally designed for home use, and small enough to fit anywhere in the home even if you don’t have a dedicated office space.
At a Glance:
- Two-inch display ensures easy device use for all printing needs
- Portable size fits perfectly in a laptop bag
- Can be used with the HP ePrint app to print with direct wireless connectivity
- This printer is powerful, yet portable, making it a great choice for those who are always on the go.
- Smartphone printing is capable, which is great for users who need to access and print documents from their phone rather than a PC or Mac.
- Long lasting battery and 90-minute charge time means that you will never run out of printing power on the go.
- Portable size may limit functions and features compared to other printers
- Doesn’t offer two-sided printing
3. Best Laser Printer for Mac: HP Color LaserJet Pro Multifunction M479fdw Wireless Laser Printer
When you need a printing powerhouse, the HP Color LaserJet Pro Multifunction M479fdw Wireless Laser Printer delivers everything you want and more. This office machine has a feature-rich printing, copying, and scanning program that creates high-quality documents and is still eco-friendly. The laser quality is among the best on the market, producing impeccably accurate colors and sharp lines with little blurring or fading.
At a Glance:
- Includes all cords, cartridges, and documentation
- Color touchscreen display
- Dual-sided printing: yes, automatic and manual
- Includes a USB cord, which many printers may not offer, assuming that you already have one from a previous device.
- WIFI Direct offers printing with or without a wireless network, which means your team will never have to worry about network printing issues.
- Energy-efficient model is Energy Star rated, giving you powerful performance without a huge environmental impact.
- More professional model has much higher price than personal printers
- May be too much for home or home office use
4. Best Small Printer for Mac: CANON PIXMA iP110 Wireless Mobile Printer
It doesn’t get a lot smaller or more portable than the CANON PIXMA iP110 Wireless Mobile Printer, which includes ink and a battery so that you can start printing as soon as you open the box. You can print with or without a network and there are no drivers to install, giving you actual plug-and-play printing that is ready to go within minutes.
At a Glance:
- AirPrint technology allows printing from your iPad, iPhone, or iPod with no drivers
- Optional battery allows for use anywhere, even outdoors
- Cloud services available through Canon PRINT app
- Super-small design makes this easy to take on the go
- Eco-friendly ink system ensures long-lasting cartridges
- Compatible with mobile iOS systems
- Small design means limited features and functionality
- Some users report design to be slightly flimsy or cheap-feeling
5. Best Inkjet Printer for Mac: Canon Pixma iX6820 Wireless Business Printer with AirPrint and Cloud Compatible
The Canon Pixma iX6820 Wireless Business Printer with AirPrint and Cloud Compatible gives you high-quality inkjet printing results every time. This printer offers cloud and direct printing solutions, in addition to Canon’s premium five-tank ink system that provides the best color matching and quality in photos, documents, and more.
At a Glance:
- AirPrint technology for instant direct printing
- Also offers Google Cloud Print
- Features 5-tank ink system for unmatched color accuracy
- Small size is desirable for those who want convenient printing on the go
- Compatible with various iOS versions
- Reasonable price for what is included
- Portable printers often miss out on useful features and functions
- Some users reported reduced print quality after a year or more of regular use
Useful Tips & Resources
Choosing the right printer isn’t very difficult. You just have to consider the compatibility with your device, which is easy since most sites offer a compatibility checker. After that, it’s all about comparing the features and choosing the model that suits your needs. The more portable, affordable models will typically have fewer features, but do you really need your printing to be that fancy?
When you are shopping for your own printer, take the items from our checklist above to help you ensure that you get the best printer for the job. Don’t be confused by statistics and numbers like PPM (pages per minute), because the differences there are fractional, at best. As long as you choose a high-quality, efficient, late-model printer that is compatible with your Mac, you’ll get a good investment for your money.
Printers are changing on a daily basis and they can be hard to pinpoint when it comes to compatibility with various Mac computers and operating systems. Thanks to wireless and Bluetooth technology, some of the best small home printers for Mac are more affordable than you might think, and the ones listed here all offer the most bang for your buck. Take the time to review the printers we’ve selected for yourself and see what they have to offer. Even if something on this list doesn’t suit your needs, or if you still want to explore a little more before you decide, keep these tips and information in mind. That way, you can guarantee that you get the best printing solutions every time, no matter what you are looking for.