Runner-up: RAVPower USB C power bank
Also Great: Marval.P GuliKit Battery Master
The Nintendo Switch delivers an incredible on-the-go gaming experience for the short amount of time its battery is able to hold a charge. But after about two or three hours, the Switch needs to be recharged if you want to continue the digital party. If you’re near an electrical outlet and have the charger in hand, you’re good to go. But what if your Switch runs out of juice during the morning commute or someplace else where plugging in is not possible? There’s nothing more annoying than fighting a boss in Witcher 3, only for your Switch to die on you halfway through.
For an uninterrupted gaming experience, you’re going to need a power bank for Nintendo Switch. However, these chargers are available in a wide range of capacities and prices, and choosing the right one can be an extremely difficult and confusing task, especially for those who are unfamiliar with all the technical terms. To make the decision easier, this guide will go over the different Nintendo Switch power banks available today.
- Licensed by Nintendo, the Anker PowerCore 13400 Nintendo Switch Edition is one of the best power banks for the Switch. It offers an additional 5.5+ hours of Zelda or Mario, but if you want more playtime, you can choose the Anker PowerCore 20100 Nintendo Switch Edition.
- With two ports, Power Delivery, and a 26,800mAh capacity, the RAVPower USB C power bank is a mid-range option that charges incredibly fast. It’s scratch resistant and comes with a travel bag, making it perfect for individuals who like keeping their devices clean.
- A battery backpack for the Switch, the Marval.P GuliKit Battery Master is perfect for handheld charging. It offers 10+ hours of charge and can be easily strapped to the console’s backside. It can also be used to charge other electronics, like a phone.
- If you’re looking for a model that can charge multiple devices, along with your Switch, then the Miady 26800mAh Portable Charger with its Power Delivery Support is the perfect option.
- A reliable and convenient Switch power bank, the iMuto 30000mAh boasts three output ports and a 30000mAh capacity for all your device charging needs. If you’re planning on going on a long trip with plenty of gadgets, this model is the one for you!
Do You Need a Power Bank for Nintendo Switch?
The answer to this question depends on the amount of playtime you’ll be getting when you’re not near an electrical outlet. Realistically, you’ll get around three hours of playtime for intensive 3D games, such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and almost six hours for a 2D game.
There are several different circumstances in which having a Nintendo Switch battery bank might be useful, including:
- Your morning commutes are long.
- You’re planning a camping trip or will spend a day outdoors.
- There’s a power outage in the neighborhood.
- You’re going to wait at the airport for a long time or have a long flight.
For domestic travel, a 10,000mAh Nintendo Switch portable charger is suitable. Along with the Switch’s battery, this will give you around 7-10 hours of total playtime.
A larger 20,000mAh is more suitable for long international flights. It’s also ideal for individuals who need to charge several different devices when they travel. A capacity of more than 20,000mAh is usually overkill under most conditions. While you’ll get around 13-22 hours of playtime, you might not be able to take such a large power bank on international flights.
How We Picked the Best Nintendo Switch Power Bank in 2020?
While we’ve created a list of some of the best power banks for Switch, it’s important to know which features earned them a place on the list. Some important aspects we took into account include:
It’s important to consider the weight of a power bank because it affects its portability. All the models in this list have different weights, so make sure you consider whether you’ll be able to handle the extra weight before making your decision.
Power and play
Some power banks allow users to charge their Switch as they play, while some have to be left alone. If you want an uninterrupted gaming experience, make sure you look for a model that specifies the power and play ability.
Arguably the most important aspect to consider, the capacity will affect the weight of the unit. If you think you won’t be able to charge your Switch for several days, choose a larger capacity power bank. However, if you’re going to be able to charge the console every night, go for a smaller capacity one.
Support for different devices
To ensure you’re getting your money’s worth, we’ve chosen power banks that, along with charging your Switch, can charge your tablet computers, laptops, and iPhones as well.
Best Portable Charger for Nintendo Switch: Our Picks in 2020
1. Best Overall: Anker PowerCore 13400/20100 Nintendo Switch Edition
An officially licensed, budget-conscious option, this power bank for Switch performs well and is safe to use. While the Switch can be charged with third party chargers, some people prefer using Nintendo approved devices. For those people, this charger is excellent and provides peace of mind.
The 13,400mAh model will charge the console just under two times, adding around 10 hours of playtime. It will take about three hours to completely charge the Switch. The 13400mAh battery is also lighter and smaller than the 20100mAh one, making it ideal for those who like to travel light.
The unit is sleek and sports a smooth, matte finish. While it’s a bit big for your pocket, it can easily fit in a laptop bag or backpack. It charges the Switch at its maximum rate and allows users to play while charging. Its 2 USB ports can further be used to charge two devices simultaneously, with each port delivering up to 2 amps.
Nintendo’s stamp of approval, size, and optimized performance make this power bank the best overall on our list. Aside from the Switch, it’s suitable for smaller USB-C electronics, particularly phones that are compatible with USB Power Delivery. However, it doesn’t feature Quick Charge, which might be disappointing for Android users.
- PowerIQ delivers a high-speed charge to all devices
- Allows users to charge Switch while they play
- Within FAA limits for flights and lithium batteries
- Licensed by Nintendo for Switch
- Fits in almost all Switch carrying cases
- Doesn’t come with an AC charger
- Output of the USB-A port is low
- Lacks Quick Charge 2.0 output
The RAVPower 26800mAh USB C power bank is another great Nintendo Switch charger. Similar to the previous charger, it can easily charge different electronics, from video game consoles to smartphones.
Boasting a 26,800mAh charging capacity, it has more than enough power to completely charge multiple devices. It can also fully charge your Switch while you play. Specifically designed for all devices, its iSmart ports provide the right amount of voltage to every electronic while protecting them from overcharging at the same time. This power bank can charge your iPhone up to ten times, and provide at least two charges for an iPad Air.
Furthermore, these ports ensure all devices are charged at their best potential. Along with overcharging protection, it also protects the Switch from current surges and short circuits. Boasting a scratch-resistant matte finish, it comes with two micro USB cables, one Type-C to Type-C cable, and a travel pouch as well.
- Incredibly easy to use
- Charges the Switch quickly like the Nintendo AC adapter
- Immediately recognizes the plugged-in device
- Easily charges the Switch while playing
- Fully charges a MacBook in more than five hours
- Not ideal for laptops
If you don’t use the kickstand while playing your Switch on the go, then the Marval.P GuliKit Battery Master is perfect for you. Unlike other power banks that can be directly attached to the Switch, this model isn’t that bulky, so you won’t need to extend your fingers while holding the console in your hands.
It’s innovatively designed with vents to ensure heat dissipation and to prevent the obstruction of the system’s fans. It further locks securely into the mount when it’s attached, so you don’t have to worry about it falling off. However, it adds to the Switch’s weight, so make sure you can handle the extra weight.
Offering 10,000mAh, it provides 10+ hours of additional playtime. The power bank is designed with multiple ports, allowing you to charge multiple devices at a time. This makes the power bank ideal for those who want to charge their smartphone on the go.
Moreover, it’s extremely easy to use. You just need to slide it onto the mount, plug the Switch into the USB-C cable, and start enjoying extra power without any interruptions.
- Easily attaches to the Switch
- Designed with multiple charging ports
- Doesn’t take up a lot of space
- Has a small battery
- Bit heavier than other models
Featuring a Type-C output that can reach up to 30W, this power bank quickly charges all Type-C devices, including laptops, MacBooks, smartphones, and a Nintendo Switch. Thanks to its Power Delivery input, it can be fully recharged in 4.5 hours, which is around seven times faster than conventional non-power delivery models.
With a 26800mAh battery capacity, this charger can keep your tablets and phones fully charged for one week, or give one full charge to a USB-C laptop. You can also safely take it onboard airplanes. It further features two USB ports that automatically identify and alter the charging current, ensuring your devices are charged as fast as possible.
Lastly, it comes with a travel pouch, a micro USB cable, a USB-C cable, and is backed by an 18-month capacity.
- Offers three different options for recharging, enabling you to charge three different devices at the same time
- One full recharge easily lasts days
- Incompatible with the HP Spectre, HTC 10, and some other laptops
- Will not charge the Switch if connected with HDMI
- Lacks high-speed charging feature for Lumia 950, Samsung W700, or MacBook Pro
With an incredibly high capacity of 30,000mAh, the iMuto power bank can fully charge a Nintendo Switch about four times. This makes it ideal for long road trips and for individuals who are often away from a stable power source and would like to game in their spare time.
Designed with three ports, it has more than enough power to charge compatible laptops, as well as tablets, phones, and other mobile devices. To further prove its capabilities, it can add an additional 11-12 hours to a MacBook streaming video watched over Wi-Fi at maximum screen brightness.
The reason behind this unit’s outstanding charging experience is its standard USB port, USB-C port, and Quick Charge 3.0 USB Port. Its innovative smart digital display further shows the exact remaining power in digital form, and it’s hidden until the power bank is turned on. Lastly, built-in safeguards protect your devices from over-voltage, short circuit, over-charging, and over-current.
- Incredibly large battery capacity
- Display shows power left
- Supports USB-C, pass-through charging, and Qualcomm Quick Charge
- Provides excellent value for money
- Heavier and bulkier than other models
Once you combine price, design, and power output, the Anker PowerCore 13400/20100 Nintendo Switch Edition quickly becomes the best power bank for almost every situation. Along with incredible battery capacity, it pushes out power with just enough current to keep the Switch topped off, even when you’re crushing it in Mario Kart 8. It’s licensed by Nintendo, so you can be sure that it’s safe and works well. Ultimately, the best power bank for Switch will depend on your travel plans and the model of your Switch.