Runner-up: Apple MacBook Air
Also Great: ASUS Chromebook C202 Laptop- 11.6″
Looking to get the best laptop for kids? Remember, the development of a child goes beyond virtual reality. When it comes to the best computer for kids, you need one that serves the purpose – and that can be a tough ask at times.
Millennial kids are opposites of the previous generation. They are born into a world that runs on electronics. This makes laptops more of a necessity than a luxury. Complete access to every kind of feature in a laptop at a very young age is detrimental to the well-being of a child. Hence, there are laptops that enable the kids to engage with the virtual world. They also limit unnecessary distractions.
Of course, you do not want a heavy or complicated model for your child. Ease them into the habit of navigating technology. Using a family laptop is great, but kids might cause damage to your work, in their curiosity. It might be better to allow them to quell their curiosity on a simpler model. You need the best laptop for children that they can work with.
Here is our selection of the six best laptops for 8,9,10 and 11 year old kids in 2020. Read on to know each product in detail. Peruse the Pros and Cons of each to decide which one suits you best.
Wondering what the best laptop for kids are? Here is our quick summary to help you out.
- New Samsung 11.6″ Chromebook 3 runs on an Intel Atom X5 E8000 2 GHz processor. It is great for initiating your kids into the world of computing. It comes with a large 11.6″ screen, suitable for kids’ viewing. The keyboard is waterproof, meaning, the laptop will last despite minor accidents.
- Apple MacBook Air is the perfect laptop if you are investing in a best laptop for children that will last you a very long time. It will also provide powerful performance. It runs on the tenth-generation Intel core i3 processor. This implies good speed for gaming, browsing, and other light workloads. It has the Intel Iris Plus Graphics card, which is great for gaming and stereo speakers for amazing sound. You get 11 hours of battery life, which makes it worth the money.
- ASUS Chromebook C202 Laptop-11.6″ runs on the Intel Celeron N3060 processor that gives 2.48 GHz speed. This is quite efficient for a laptop meant for use by kids. It comes with reinforced rubber guards. Add to that easy-grip handles that ensure your child doesn’t let go of the laptop. Also, there is a spill-resistant keyboard that protects the machine from untoward spills. It has a strong body that can survive a 3.9 feet drop without incurring any major damage. It is ready to be your all-weather ally.
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6 is the perfect gift for a child interested in graphics and design. It is a two-in-one (laptop cum tablet) stylish and powerful machine. It can become the tutor and sounding board for your precocious child. It works on the 8th generation Intel Core processor that provides excellent speed. The Signature Type Cover is a stylish keyboard that adds to your laptop experience. Use it to watch videos, draw with the device bent at the perfect angle, or use it as a laptop. This will revolutionize your child’s virtual experience.
- Acer Chromebook Spin 13 works on the Intel Core i5 processor. It provides a familiar Google ecosystem. It allows you to access all Google apps and even back up your data to Google Drive. Add to that a multi touch screen that makes for convenient use. Love it for its speed, safety, security, and space.
- ASUS 10.1″ Transformer Mini is a budget powerhouse. It runs on the Intel Atom Quad Core x5-Z8350 processor and 4GB RAM that ensures speed without lags. It can work both as a laptop as well as tablet and comes with a pen that you can use to write on the screen. It comes with Windows 10 and provides an 11-hour battery life. This makes it a suitable buy for kids wishing to dabble in different kinds of creative virtual arts.
Does your 10-Year-Old Son/Daughter Need a Laptop?
Looking for the best computer for kids but don’t know where to start? The question can encompass all ages from 8-11 years. Do these kids need a laptop? The answer depends on how you perceive the digital world. If you have had a negative relationship with that world, it might appear to be evil. But creative content is reaching people through digital channels. So you can only avoid this evil for some time.
It needs to be a healthy, limited, and productive part of your child’s life. It is already a crucial part of your child’s education. They will find a fascinating world opening out before them at school. Instead of withholding them from it, guide them into the world of virtual reality.
Even before you know it, a laptop will have become a second teacher for all your child’s forays into learning. This is more than another exciting accessory. It is their way of becoming independent learners. They find out what kind of content interests them the most. A child, at the age of 10, can begin with a simple, large screen laptop. It can become their guide in all endeavors of learning. In this case, without spoiling their eyes as in case of a small screen.
So, your 10-year-old might not “need” a laptop. But they deserve it if they are to become empowered and independent humans. They should become humans who are abreast with the developments in the world. They should understand their responsibility as citizens of the digital world.
How did we Pick the Best Laptop for Kids?
A laptop for kids will be different from the laptops you need for an adult. For instance, most professional laptops need a 16 GB RAM, if not more. You will need a graphics card if you are looking to play intensive games. However, with kids, the needs are different. The laptops for kids that you buy need to be tailor-made to their needs.
It’s what we kept in mind while choosing our list. This list of the best computer for kids takes into account what it offers to your child, how easy it is to use them, as well as how easily the device runs.
We also took into account that your child probably wouldn’t want a 17-inch laptop, a reason many of our choices are around the 12-inch screen mark. We also ensured that your kids buy a laptop that they can use for a long time.
Best Laptops for 8/9/10/11-Year-Old: Our Picks in 2020
You are looking for the perfect laptop for your child. You might consider their level of familiarity with devices. Or you may take into account your budget. Whatever your criterion for deciding, take a look at our well-researched choices:
It is the ideal laptop for kids with its 11.6″ screen and a water-resistant keyboard. Love its lightweight body or the Intel Atom X5 E8000 Processor that offers a speed of up to 2GHz. The built-in security features against viruses and other malware is a welcome addition too.
You can also stop fretting over updates because the laptop updates itself. It promises of battery life of 11 hours with a single charge. This means your kids can have a good study session, or watch videos without running out of charge. The laptop is easy to use with its Google ecosystem, and easy access to all Google accounts at one click. You can sync your data across many devices, and the laptop does not need tedious work or hours of setting up.
The Samsung 11.6″ Chromebook 3 has a decent 16 GB SSD. You will not be able to store a lot of data, but it is enough for a child who has begun his journey with computers. It is also sturdy and resistant to minor accidents or spills.
This is a powerful Chromebook that allows you data access and exchange over all your devices. As a parent, supervising your child’s activities will become easier. It’s one of the best laptop for 10 year old.
- Smooth- It is fast and efficient, just as you want.
- Easy Syncing Across Devices- You will not have to transfer data across devices. A single login will do the job.
- Great battery life- At over 11 hours of battery juice on a single charge, it’s as good as it gets.
- Initial Glitches- There might be some problems with signing-in the first time.
- Poor Screen Quality- The images might appear pixelated or unclear on the screen.
This is on the more expensive, yet long-term investment end of the spectrum. You want an efficient, state-of-the-art laptop that will have no lags. You only have to think of the Apple MacBook Air. It looks great and feels even greater. It has a 13.3-inch Retina display with True Tone Technology. This means your viewing and browsing experience will turn up a notch.
We all know how difficult it can get to work in low light when the keys on the keyboard are not visible. It becomes even harder for kids, who are not even habitual of typing, to locate the keys in low light. The MacBook Air comes with the solution. They provide the Backlit Magic Keyboard, which ensures that work never stops.
It also comes with Touch ID – your fingerprint becomes your password. You will also not have to bother with long alphanumeric codes.
You will love the HD camera, which means better resolution when you Face Time. The speaker quality can also put all your previous laptops to shame. It has stereo speakers, which are the solution for your kid’s online tutorial worries. They would no longer need to wear earphones to listen. The Apple MacBook Air can give them crystal clear sound, and revolutionize learning.
The laptop also boasts of an 8GB RAM; yes, it’s fast to power your kids’ needs. Multitasking will become a possibility with the Apple MacBook Air. A 256 GB SSD storage is another feather in its cap. Your child will never have to worry about running out of space. The laptop is their big book of knowledge- minus the bulk and boring default formatting of the text.
Your child can play and learn with this fast and efficient model. They can learn to work on a machine without incurring any setbacks or delays. The Apple MacBook Air is an investment for your child’s all-round education. it would be safe to add that it’s more of the kind of the best laptop for 10 year old daughter or son and upwards. Kids below that age will have a tough time figuring things out. We would say this is also the best laptop for 9 year old.
- Fast Processor- The Intel Core i3 processor works like a charm, and there would never be any lags.
- Looks and Feels Good- It has an aluminum body and feels good while holding it. It comes in many metallic color variants, which make it look alluring.
- RAM is Powerful- It comes in the 8 and 16 GB variants. Both work well and will never let you down.
- The Keyboard is Perfect- It provides the desired feel and smoothness while typing. It is very responsive and makes typing an enjoyable task.
- Camera Might Have a Few Problems- People say it is perfect for video conferencing. But the image may become grainy at times.
- Heating Problem- It heats up very fast; this may not be desirable in the long run.
One of the cheaper options out there, it is perfect laptop for the inquisitive and lively kids who are also prone to knocking things over by accident. The ASUS Chromebook C202 can withstand drops and spills. It comes with an entire arsenal of protective covers. No harm will come to its internal and external machinery. The 11.6″ anti-glare HD screen adds into your viewing experience. Booting and working on this laptop will be ‘child’s play,’ which makes it the best laptop for 8 year old or 9/10/11 year old.
The Intel Celeron Processor on offer here is perfect for your child’s browsing and other needs. It will not be a high-speed experience but will not be a slow and frustrating one either. You can also depend on its 4GB DDR3 RAM.
The ASUS Chromebook is suitable to be your prepubescent child’s first laptop. It is his foray into the world of entertainment, learning and developing skills. It has to be a smooth experience while not costing you too much. It has a classroom design. As the name suggest, it can bear a little rough-handling. This ensures that you do not have to fret over every accident that occurs to a laptop’s pristine design. This is a laptop meant for kids’ hands.
- Suitable for children- Rugged and sturdy design that can withstand carelessness by kids.
- Long-lasting Battery- Can last up to 10 hours. This means that you can carry it around without worrying about diminishing battery.
- Dark Keys- The keyboard is the biggest let-down on the ASUS Chromebook. It has blue keys against a non-backlit keyboard. It makes it even harder to type in low light.
Surely, one of the best laptop for 11-year-old, this is one of the best laptop-cum tablet machines in the market. One look at its design will tell you how much effort has gone into its creation. The laptop stands for all things creative. It is a professional tool to aid digital artists. But it is also the perfect tool to give your child wings. It would be important to add that this would be the best laptop for an older child, say if you have an 11-year-old at home.
The powerful Microsoft Surface Pro 6 runs on the 8th generation Intel Core processor and 16 GB RAM. It is your solution to all woes of slow processing. You can use it to create masterpieces with your child or learn different things, using it as a tablet. The important thing is that you have to buy the keyboard and the digital pen separately.
This is a very efficient machine, and even its accessories will not let you down. Fuel your child’s imagination. Your child will be able to use it for graphics, designing, or even writing. Great for both kids and professionals, with its slim design weighing 1.7 pounds, and smooth performance, this machine is a must-buy.
- Windows 10- It comes with Windows 10, and that is one, smooth-functioning software.
- Screen Writing- The surface pen has great precision. The screen is also very responsive, and it feels like writing on paper.
- High-end Laptop- It works as well as the high-end models available in the market for much higher prices.
- The Accessories- They are an added expense, to an otherwise unusable laptop.
- Battery Life- It may not last long with a single charge.
This is your classic Chromebook. Running on the Chrome OS, it’s powered by an Intel Core i5 processor. You can count on its 4GB RAM to tide you over heavy tasks and even allow smooth multi-tasking – one of the best laptop for kids of all ages from 8-10-year-olds.
The Acer Chromebook Spin 13 is a convertible laptop with a very responsive touch screen. It has an accompanying stylus and corning gorilla glass protection for the screen. You would not have to buy anything beyond the laptop. The laptop and tablet modes will allow you to switch as per your convenience, and you can get the best of both worlds. This is a great and cheap solution for your child’s work and entertainment needs.
It is tough, efficient, versatile, and simple to use. Get easy parental supervision by syncing all accounts with the Chrome OS. You can enjoy safety and comfort, knowing that your child is learning in a protected space.
- The Efficiency of OS- The Chrome OS is a boon due to its smooth functioning.
- Perfect Stylus- The stylus has great precision and provides a good experience.
- Crashes with Heavier Apps- Gaming might cause the laptop to crash at times.
Wondering what’s the best laptop for 10-year-old son or daughter? Try out this one from ASUS, complete with Intel Atom Quad-Core processor and 4GB RAM. It works fine for your 9-year-old as well as your 10-year-old son/daughter. This is a great model to begin with, for a child whose primary need is to learn to browse, type, write and draw on a screen.
The ASUS 10.1″ Transformer Mini is a convertible laptop. It also comes with a stylus to further your child’s creative potential. Then, there is a touch screen, an 11-hour battery life, a light body, and a keyboard. The one-touch fingerprint login just adds into the overall flavor. The ASUS 10.1′ Transformer Mini comes with a 128GB solid-state storage. You will never have to worry about the lack of space or your data again.
This is a laptop that is affordable, durable, and provides excellent performance. It is the perfect device for your child.
- No Slowdowns- It is great at multi-tasking and does not have glitches.
- Lightweight yet Sturdy- You can carry it anywhere and yet is sturdy and durable.
- The Keyboard- The keys are close together. It makes the typing process difficult.
- Low Resolution- The picture quality will not be very high.
You would already have certain ideas in mind about the kind of laptop you want for your child. It is worth taking out the time to go through all best laptop for kids that we have presented here and make your choice. Don’t rush into it and do not go for the most premium model available. Whether you are looking at the best laptop for your 10-year-old son or the best laptop for 10-year-old daughter, we are sure you want nothing but the best.
Choose what suits your child’s current requirements. It is always best to bring home a sturdy model if your child is in the habit of fidgeting. But when your child develops their abilities, try to introduce them to newer ways of working. They will understand how much of their everyday life can incorporate digital media.