Computer programming is not all about doing programming, solving algorithms, flowcharts, and emulating apps and software. If you are a programmer and love to do coding, you want to do it faster and more effectively. Right?
There is less chance to win any competition if you submit your solution with a delay. So, how can you do fast programming? Your device is the most important asset to make you a champ programmer.
If you want to stay ahead in the competitive coding world, the best way is to make sure that you have the best laptop for programming to solve your problems without any delay. With that in mind, we have listed 6 laptops that will make your coding journey faster than ever and why we think they are great choices to make you a great programmer.
The basic good laptops for programming will keep you from reaching your full programming potential. So, here we have put together a list of laptops that will help programmers attain their goals fast. Some factors you can’t turn a blind eye on are the processor, RAM, storage, display, and keyboard among others.
- We have the Apple MacBook Pro that is all set to keep up with your programming needs with its robust i9 processor and 16 GB of RAM to accompany. Not to mention its high-resolution retina display.
- No, we aren’t biassed towards Apple. We have incorporated numerous options from other brands as well. The Dell XPS 15 Laptop with all its specs is a force to reckon with, and it wouldn’t be a surprise that its a top choice among the best laptops for coding.
- At par with them is the Acer Aspire E 15 ready to take on heavy programming software, especially graphical ones with its 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8 and GeForce MX150 GPU.
Who Should Get This?
If you are a student of computer science and engineering or you are learning programming languages, then these laptops are great choices for you. They will give you the ultimate power to do coding faster and effectively.
If you want to be the topper in your programming competition, then you should look at the best laptops for programming students. Even if you are a developer looking to develop complex software and applications, these would be great for that as well. To make the search for the best laptop easier, we have listed the best laptops with all kinds of budgets.
How We Picked the Best Laptops for Coding?
When it is time to choose the best laptop for software development and programming, there are few things to consider. Hence, we handpicked some of the best laptops based on some criteria.
Just like the screen size, RAM is also a vital element of your laptop. Having a high capacity of RAM can boost your programming experience without less delay. We recommend 8GB or 16GB RAM to ease your software development path.
If you are planning to do programming faster, a powerful processor is an absolute must. A good processor can ease your coding journey by compiling your code without any delay.
Note that: Large and complex codes are easy to compile with a high power processor like Intel Core i9.
Like the processor, GPU is also a vital element. GPU makes the laptop faster and makes it easy to load high graphical tools and software. While an integrated GPU is hassle-free and power efficient, they are also weak. A dedicated GPU will increase performance manifolds as it will solely handle the task of graphic processing.
When you are doing coding, it is necessary to see your code elegantly so that you can find your mistakes easily. With the help of a 15-inch laptop than the smaller ones, you can easily read through code and make GUI adjustments. Yeah, it’s a bitter truth that you will lose portability with the big screen.
Best Laptops for Programming Developers: Our Picks in 2020
This is our top recommendation as one of the good laptops for coding. With an immersive 16-inch Retina display with slimmer bezels, Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch comes with a new magic keyboard that will boost your coding experience.
Inside the laptop, you get an i9 processor with 16 GB RAM. That is the perfect combination of a laptop for the programmers and developers. You also get a resolution of 3072 x 1920 that is way better than the resolution of 2880 x 1800 for its predecessor.
At a glance:
- CPU: Intel Core i9 with 2.3GHz 8‑core (16 MB shared L3 cache)
- GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 along with the default Intel UHD Graphics 630
- RAM: 16 GB
- Magic Keyboard: This is the best Mac keyboard ever released. Apple opted for a scissor mechanism with a new keycap design that’s more stable and comfortable than the previous 15-inch model. Apple did the best thing to bring back the original ESC key along with the inverted T-setup for the arrow keys.
- Excellent Performance: With the latest i9 processor along with 16GB of RAM, the new MacBook Pro 16-inch performs with blazing speed. The Geekbench score of 7,250 is better than the score of 7,186 of the previous 15-inch MacBook pro.
- Incredible Sound Quality: The high‑fidelity six‑speaker system makes the MacBook Pro 16-inch is the best laptop based on Audio output. The force canceling woofers helps you to minimize vibrations even when you max out the volume.
- Lack of Face Unlock Technology: Unlike other Pro-labeled products with screens, it lacks Face ID. Even Windows supports the Hello Face Unlock feature.
- Almost Useless Touch Bar: Though MacBook Pro provides Touch Bar to control volume and brightness, it is still useless. Because it can accidentally mute your volume while working with the keypads.
Well, here we go with our second choice among the other good laptops for developers. Like other laptops of Lenovo ThinkPad series, X1 Carbon comes with a slick, and attractive design. The near weightlessness laptop at just 2.1 pounds and 0.6 inches thick, the 14-inch X1 Carbon is easy to carry on any programming Bootcamp.
The most amazing thing about Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is its keyboard. As you are going to use for programming, it will be the best laptop for coding. The chiclet-style keys are as clicky as ever with the slightly curved design to conform your fingers to make you as fast as you can go with your codes.
At a glance:
- CPU: Intel Core i5-82625U or Intel Core i7-8665U
- GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620 (integrated)
- RAM: 8GB / 16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz
- Storage: 256GB / 512GB NVMe-PCIe SSD
- Attractive Lightweight Design: The lightweight design with carbon fiber exterior makes it the ultimate laptop for coding just anywhere.
- Excellent In-Class Keyboard: The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 has the most comfortable keyboard among all the ThinkPads. The keys are backlit and depressed in the center to provide your fingers guidance and stability.
- Amazing 4K Display: The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 comes with the best 4k display along with four different screen configurations. With the perfect viewing angle and exceptionally great brightness, this laptop can be your ultimate choice for doing high-end graphics programming.
- Shorter Battery Life: Though the battery of ThinkPad X1 Carbon is good till 1080p screen, it drains so fast if you use a 4k screen most of the time.
- Average Web Camera: Based on its budget, the web camera should be high quality, not the typical blurry IR camera.
Dell XPS 15 is the thinner, lighter, and prettier 15-inch laptops that come with the 16 GB of RAM along with the 4GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650. There are two versions of Dell XPS 15. One comes with the Intel Core i7 processor where another is Intel Core i9 processor laptop.
With the stunning OLED display and comfortable keyboard, your journey with programming makes it probably the best laptop for coding. As it is slick and easy to carry, you can do programming wherever you want. The 97-Wh battery keeps your laptop awake for a long time until you want to charge it fully within just 2.5 hours.
At a glance:
- CPU: Intel Core i7-9750h
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
- RAM: 16GB DDR4-2666MHz
- Storage: 1TB PCIe SSD
- Striking 4K OLED display: The Vivid and dynamic 4K display of Dell XPS 15 is amazing. The 15.6-inch 4K (3840 x 2160) panel comes with 400 nits of brightness. So, you can feel each and every color perfectly along with its Infinity Edge micro bezel design.
- Powerful Performance: Well, with both i7 and i9 versions of Dell XPS 15 is super fast with its 16 GB of RAM and GTX 1650. To boost your coding experience, it can be a great choice with the price range and features.
- Amazing Battery Life: Dell XPS 15 performs like a horse with its large 6-Cell 97-Wh battery and the low power consumption technique. At maximum brightness, the runtime in the WLAN test is 10:40 hours. In spite of having a Quick Charge feature, it still takes just 2.5 hours to completely recharge the battery.
- Comfortable Keypads: It has incredibly one of the best comfortable keyboards that make it the best laptop for coding. Along with the 4.1 x 3.1-inch Precision touchpad, keys are large and have generous spacing.
- No More Redesign: Whenever people want to buy a new laptop, they also look for a new and stylish design. Unfortunately, Dell XPS 15 kept the same design as its previous precedents. In fact, the placement of the webcam is awkward.
From our list of some good laptops for coding, Acer Aspire E 15 comes with some excellent tech specs. With the powerful Intel Core i5-8250U processor along with 8GB of RAM, you can compile and run heavy programming software with ease.
As it is using SSD, your laptop will not slow down for storing almost full of the storage. In fact, you can run Minibloq, Scratch, and some other graphical programming software without any delay because of GeForce MX150.
At a glance:
- CPU: 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U
- GPU: GeForce MX150
- RAM: 8GB RAM
- Storage: 256GB SSD
- Affordable: Among the list of the best laptops for programming students, Acer Aspire E 15 so far comes with the lowest possible price (less than $700) as of its kind.
- Comfortable keyboard: Like other Acer Aspire laptops, it has a comfortable keyboard with soft and adjustable keypads.
- Huge Touchpad: 4.1 x 3 inches of the touchpad is huge and reacts well to gestures like pinch-to-zoom.
- Good Battery Life: If you want long battery life, then it is the best as it offers up to 15-hours of battery life.
- Bland display: The display is not the best for programmers as it is dim. The screen provides OK color but not good. In fact, it emits up to 200 nits of brightness, which is below the 229-nit usual notebook average.
The next one to make it to this list is the Microsoft Surface Pro 6. The tablet was launched, packed with a touch display, 12.30 inch in size, 2736×1824 pixels of resolution having a pixel density of 267 pixels per inch (PPI), and 8GB of RAM. Besides, it has an 8-megapixel camera on its rear, 5-megapixel on the front, and has Windows 10 as the operating system.
It weighs 775 grams and is 20.1 x 29.2 x 0.85 cm in dimension. It is available in Platinum and Black colors. It comes with sensors like gyroscope, accelerometer, and ambient light sensor. In short, it’s definitely one of the best laptops for developers.
At a glance:
- CPU: Intel i5-8250U
- GPU: Intel® UHD Graphics 620
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 256GB SSD
- Sparkling display: The display itself is one of the best for a Windows laptop. The 12.3-inch PixelSense display is more colorful and bright than the previous model.
- Longer battery life: With the 150 nits brightness, it can last up to a strong 9 hours and 20 minutes which is enough for traveling outside.
- Premium look: With the matte-black finish, the Surface Pro 6 looks like a pretty lady. You can use it in three different modes so far like a tablet, laptop, and studio with the kickstand extended 165 degrees.
- Comfortable keyboard: The Type Cover keyboard dock is comfortable to type on. In fact, you can use the touchpad to quickly type and send messages.
- No USB-C port: There is no USB-C port or Thunderbolt 3.
- Minimal changes from the previous model: It is almost the same as its previous model.
One of the best laptops for programming, this one is a winner in the looks department as well. This laptop is a treat to perform tasks like writing and making notes with precision touch sensitivity providing a seamless experience to its users besides being one of the best laptops for software development.
Its Windows Mixed Reality combines VR with a profound sense of appearances. It’s thin all over and has a body of aluminum expertly contoured by CNC machines delivering an artistic feel. Moreover, it has a Full-HD IR camera coupled with a dual-array digital microphone.
At a glance:
- CPU: Intel i5-8250U
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150
- RAM: 16GB
- Storage: 512GB SSD
- Sharp 4K display: The high-resolution display on this device is amazingly colorful and sharp. You will be able to make out every strand of hair on the head displayed on that screen
- Excellent keyboard: You will feel your fingers gliding across the Spectre x360’s keyboard like on molten butter. Each one of the keys is particularly clicky. Plus, it has a decent-sized number pad
- Excellent battery life: The Spectre x360 has an excellent battery life to accompany its 4K display. You can expect it to last around 8 hours while continuously surfing through web pages on WiFi.
- Strong performance: Its processor can handle a great deal of multi-tasking like around 30 open tabs on Google Chrome and playing Youtube videos at 1080p resolution without slowing it down.
- Too large and heavy: If you are a coder who travels a lot and has to carry his laptop frequently, we would recommend you consider a lighter option. This one due to is 15″ screen size is quite a hassle to carry.
Useful Tips & Resources
Now that you are aware of the major contenders among laptops for coding, we would like to equip you with a number of tips and tricks to do the programming with an ease.
As most of the programmers spend hours to complete complex problems, they need to sit for an extended amount of time. We suggest you to buy a sit-to-stand desk that will help you to keep your body away from back pain.
You should also consider buying an external monitor for programming so that you can multitask easily. Not but the least, you need to practice a lot to win any competition. For this, you can watch tutorials of ProgrammingKnowledge on Youtube. You can also watch tutorials on Udemy to learn the basics to advance your programming language.
And, don’t forget to use a digital timer to track the time you need for solving problems. Keep practicing and do your best. iAnyshare family wishes you all the best for your future programming competition.
At the end of the day, you are one who knows your needs the best. We have explained the options and the factors you will be dealing with while choosing your laptop for coding. It’s a long time purchase, and we recommend spending ample time to research before reaching a conclusion. We hope this article proved helpful in steering you in the right direction.