Do you frequently use your iPhone’s camera while on the move? Whether you are running or shooting your dog playing in the park, shaky footage can be a problem. That is where finding the best gimbal for iPhone can be of assistance.
These units help to stabilize footage and maintain optimal balance while shooting. Our experts selected the top six models and reviewed them below. Check out our guide to find your favorite gimbal!
- Our experts pronounced DJI Osmo Mobile 3 Combo as the best gimbal for iPhone on the market. The product is exceptionally durable, but light and foldable to secure easy transport. The integrated app offers a variety of functions, and the 3-axis stabilizer ensures to eliminate any shaky footage.
- Zhiyun Smooth 4 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer is an excellent alternative for those looking for gimbals equipped with a motor. Thanks to the motor, the product supports large phones, which makes it the best gimbal for iPhone X and newer models.
- MOZA Mini-S Essential Foldable Gimbal Stabilizer is suitable for newbies and those who prefer gadgets that are easy to control. Apart from the simplicity of use, the product also secures easy transport with its foldable design.
Who Should Get This?
The great thing about gimbals is that they are suitable for both beginners and experienced users. Beginners appreciate that it is easy to use, while veterans like the additional options this product offers.
Here are some reasons why you need the best iPhone stabilizer out there:
- Always have stable footage – it is not easy to avoid shaky videos, especially if you are on the move. Gimbals are sensitive to movement, and they stabilize footage when shooting on the go.
- Improving the potential of the phone’s camera – gimbals often add new shooting modes, including filming in low-light conditions and making time-lapses.
- Make shooting easier – instead of trying hard to shoot a stable video; you can relax because the gimbal does all the job of stabilizing shaky footage for you.
How We Picked the Best Gimbal for iPhone X/Xs Max/Xs/XR?
We took the job of picking the best gimbal for the iPhone seriously. Here are the factors and features that we analyzed in the process.
The primary purpose of using a gimbal is for it to secure optimal stability while shooting the footage. That is why you want to confirm that the product you select is suitable for recording on the move. The majority of stabilizers are a great choice for free motion, although their sensitivity levels vary.
Ease of Use
The ease of use could refer to multiple things. You want to ensure that it is easy to connect the iPhone to the gimbal. From there, you should secure that moving the gimbal around is easy. Finally, controlling the shooting modes and switching between options should be effortless. That is why many gimbals come with control buttons and triggers on the front of the unit.
The majority of iPhone gimbals come with an integrated app designed by the manufacturer. Those apps are free, and they secure various shooting modes. Depending on the software, you can choose between multiple timelapse modes, vertigo shots, inception mode, slow motion, etc.
The size and weight could directly affect portability because it is easier to move a lighter unit around. Many manufacturers also offer a storage case or pouch to ensure you can pack the gimbal when you are not using it.
Best Gimbal for iPhone X/Xs Max/Xs/Xr: Our Picks in 2020
DJI Osmo Mobile 3 Combo is the best iPhone gimbal on our list. That is because the product offers an optimal balance between performance, durability, and design. The 3-axis stabilizer ensures that the footage is stable at all times. Durable materials make sure the product will last for a long time. The gimbal is lightweight and compact-sized, and you can fold it for easier transport.
The product comes with an integrated app to secure multiple shooting modes. The box also includes a wrist strap, anti-slip pads, tripod, storage pouch, power cable, and a carrying case.
At a Glance:
- Compatible with the latest iPhone models
- The integrated app requires at least iOS10
- 3-axis gimbal stabilizer
- A variety of functions available – the integrated app offers multiple modes for shooting during the entire day, including sport mode, zoom, panoramas, slow motion, etc.
- A modern and foldable design – the product looks attractive, and it is exceptionally light as it weight under 0.90 pounds.
- Ultra-responsive design that eliminates shaky footage – the 3-axis gimbal stabilizer reacts to movements and ensures that the recordings are stable.
- It supports portable and landscape mode – the product secures optimal balance regardless of the phone’s position.
- The handle might be a bit bulky – some users might find that the handle is a bit bulky, which can be inconvenient for carrying the product around.
- The case is too small for all items received in the box – although the case looks nice, it might not fit all the items from the packaging.
Zhiyun Smooth 4 is a gimbal stabilizer that is suitable for both older and newer iPhone models. Thanks to the motor, it can be easy to move any phone and stabilize footage. Impressive stability combined with simple controls makes this the best gimbal for iPhone XR available on the market.
The manufacturer designed an app that offers multiple modes, and the battery life is on a single charge is long. The zooming option is also available, and it secures making fantastic close-up shots.
At a Glance:
- 240-degrees roll and tilt mechanical range
- It comes with a ZY play app designed by the developers
- The box includes a USB cable, storage box, and a tripod
- Object tracking and time-lapsing features – smooth recording is available even when you are on the move, and you can also apply various time-lapsing models.
- Switch between modes with a trigger – the trigger simplifies the process of changing modes and controlling the device.
- The powerful motor makes it compatible with larger phones – thanks to the motor, you can fit big phones into the device and move them easily.
- It can run for up to 12 hours – the battery life is admirable since the product can run up to 12 hours on a single charge.
- The motor durability could be better – while the motor does a good job, its longevity is a bit questionable.
- You need to remove the case before attaching the stabilizer to your phone – this happens with many gimbals, and this one is not an exception.
MOZA might be the best gimbal for iPhone XS Max and similar models, especially if you are looking for a budget-friendly model. The product comes with an integrated app that offers advanced shooting options. That varies from time-lapsing to vertigo and inception modes, which maximizes the app’s versatility.
The gimbal stabilizer is foldable, and its folded size is 5.1*2.6*7.6 inches, which makes the product highly-portable. The battery lasts for approximately five hours, and the charging time for the gimbal is set at three hours. The package includes a tripod, user guide, USB cable, and a cable for camera control.
At a Glance:
- 3-axis stabilizer
- Foldable design
- An integrated app
- Extremely foldable – the stabilizer is foldable, which makes it convenient for storing.
- It does a good job of stabilizing footage – you can rely on the product to stabilize video recordings, especially when you are on the move.
- Intuitive control buttons – the buttons on the front of the unit enable simple control of the device.
- Various shooting options – whether you want to use the inception mode or try timelapse and vertigo shots, the product will meet your needs.
- The USB cable is a bit short – for the price, the manufacturer could have included a longer USB cord.
- The app is somewhat prone to crashes – although the crashing doesn’t happen often, the app designed by the manufacturer isn’t fully bug-proof.
DJI Osmo Pocket offers something entirely different since this is basically a handheld camera with a gimbal stabilizer. You can, however, connect it to your iPhone by downloading the DJI Mimo App for your device. The app offers a wide range of features, including night shootings, face-tracking, time lapsing, etc.
Connecting this gadget to your iPhone only takes a couple of seconds, thanks to the port provided. The 3-axis stabilizer will ensure that the video isn’t shaky regardless of the conditions when you shoot. You can use this product for shooting at night and in low-light conditions, although the quality might vary.
At a Glance:
- 12MP camera capable of shooting 4K videos
- An app compatible with iOS 10 and above
- 3-axis stabilizer
- A camera with a powerful performance – you can use the product’s camera to shoot 4K videos.
- Easy to connect to a smartphone – you use a simple port to connect the product to your iPhone and access extra functions.
- Extremely stable – the product comes with a 3-axis gimbal stabilizer and features impressive stability while shooting.
- A single-handed design – the unique design ensures that the product is easy to use.
- Low-light performance could be better – the picture could become a bit grainy when using this handheld camera in low-light conditions.
- A high price tag – the cost is considerably higher than with standard iPhone stabilizers.
FeiyutechVimble 2S Gimbal Stabilizer features excellent compatibility since it is suitable for most Apple iPhone models. The unit is light and portable and features a motor lock that ensures optimal control while recording. The product can balance mobile phones in both portrait and landscape modes.
The battery features only 1,300mAh of strength, but it is enough for the gimbal to last for hours. The materials used are PA6, PC, and other top-quality compounds that can withstand extreme temperatures, including both cold and heat.
At a Glance:
- 1,300mAh battery
- It comes with a motor lock
- Compatible with the majority of iPhone models
- Lightweight and easy to carry around – the accessory is fairly light, which makes it portable.
- It can be used to charge your phone – you can use the gimbal to charge your phone. If you need to charge the stabilizer, a power bank can do the trick.
- The motor lock allows 360-degree rotation – as a convenient feature, motor lock increases tilting range to 320 degrees, and rolling range to 360 degrees.
- Simple to control – even the beginners should have a minimal learning curve in using this accessory.
- The head doesn’t expect that much – although the product comes with an extendable head, its capabilities of extending are not impressive.
- Battery life could be better – the gimbal could last longer on a single battery charge.
Hohem did a great job with their new and upgraded gimbal, which might be the best iPhone stabilizer on the market. The gadget is very sensitive to hand movements, which is how it manages to ensure exceptional stability. That makes it suitable for recording videos while running, moving down the stairs, etc.
The manufacturer designed an app that offers a wide range of features. Although it could be more reliable and smooth in operation, the software allows you to choose between multiple functions. Those include slow motion,time-lapse, and four different shooting modes. The battery can last for up to 12 hours, and you can charge it with a power bank.
At a Glance:
- 3-axis stabilizer
- Compatible with iPhone X, XR, XS, and XS Max
- 4,000mAh battery
- Admirable stability – the gimbal is stable enough so that you can use it effortlessly.
- Compatible with both the company’s and the default camera app – you can choose the application to use with the product.
- A convenient storage case – the storage case is compact-sized, which makes it easy to carry the item around.
- Time-lapse features are a nice touch – the app offers multiple functions for recording time-lapsing videos.
- The app could be better – the software that the developers made has a couple of flaws, and it is not too reliable.
- The instructions are not great – you will need to figure out most of the working process yourself or rely on internet videos.
Useful Tips & Resources
Did you know that gimbals are often used by filmmakers? These gadgets enable improving the stability and quality of your footage. You can check out these tips that could assist in using a gimbal like a professional.
The footage quality will also depend on your capability of using the camera. The newer models of Apple iPhone have a powerful camera, and these tips can help you to make the most out of it. You can also find numerous articles that focus on shooting videos with an iPhone. For example, this guide talks about how to make shooting with your phone simpler while improving video quality.
The first thing to confirm when choosing a stabilizer is that it is compatible with your phone. Fortunately, the best gimbal for iPhone XS is often compatible with other newer models made by Apple. That is why your main concern should be what you expect from a gimbal stabilizer. The experts advise checking the available shooting options, considering whether the gimbal should have a motor, etc. Ultimately, remember that the best gimbal is only the one that fits your needs perfectly!